Pseudo Effect Maker
The simplest way to create custom effect controls!
The Pseudo Effect Maker gives you a simple, user-friendly interface to quickly and easily develop, organize and apply custom effect controls. With these controls, you can drive expressions and layers within your After Effects project; you can also save them as presets to reuse them later or allow others to use the tools you create.
What is a Pseudo Effect?
A pseudo effect is also known as a 'custom expression control.’ After Effects has several expression controls built in; however, they are all individually separated. This means that if you need to use multiple controls for your project, you’d have to add each control separately, which can get messy and unorganized.
A pseudo effect allows you to create a custom group of controls, name and organize it however you want, and make your expression controls more manageable and more like built-in effects.
Now that I have my Pseudo Effect, how do I hide the built-in effects that I am controlling?
Any effects that you are using as part of your preset will always have to be present.
Pseudo effects are just simple controllers. Although you can connect them to other effects and properties through expressions and set custom limits and defaults, they will not replace anything. Without the actual effects present, your control will not do anything, and at the moment there is no way to hide effects in the effects panel.
Getting Started with the Pseudo Effect Maker
To get a general overview of how to use the Pseudo Effect Maker, check out the video below. You can also read the Help File to get all the details.
After Effects: CC 2017, CC 2015.3, CC 2015, CC 2014
The Pseudo Effect Maker is an Extension for After Effects; you cannot install it by simply copying and pasting files. The ZXP Installer from aescripts.com is recommended for installing extensions, which are in the .zxp format. It is free to download and use.
Once you install the extension, you can open the panel by going to Window > Extensions > Pseudo Effect Maker.
Current Version - v1.03
Release Date - June 6, 2017
- New Feature: Auto Save -> While editing your pseudo effect, the Pseudo Effect Maker will automatically save your control and will load it automatically upon reopening
- New Feature: Display Indexes -> You can now toggle index display on and off. The indexes can be useful when writing expressions for your pseudo effects
- New BETA Feature: Read Expression Controls (CC 2017 and newer only) -> Create your controls by reading and Expression Controls that are applied to a layer.
- Minor Feature: Control count is now shown in the menu.
- Bug Fix: Dragging and dropping controls should now be more controlled and consistent
- Bug Fix: 'File Not Found' error when applying a control should no longer appear
- Other minor bug fixes and text fixes
Version - v1.02
Release Date - April 23, 2017
- Bug Fix: Fixed issue where saved controls were not opening properly
- Bug Fix: Previous bugfix for adding .ffx extension on Macs did not work. It should now be working
- Minor Interface Change: Popup control option now shows limit for the maximum length
- Other minor bug fixes
Version - v1.01
Release Date - April 18, 2017
- New Feature: Copy XML -> Convert your pseudo effect to XML code for use in the PresetEffects.xml file or to manually tweak the properties
- New Feature: Add seperators in Popup Controls by adding a blank line
- Minor Redesign: Copy XML, Paste XML and About have been moved into a hamburger menu at the top right of the interface
- Bug Fix: Earlier versions of After Effects can now open saved pseudo effects
- Bug Fix: On Mac, saved controls would not have the .ffx file extension by default, this has been fixed.
Version - v1.00
Release Date - April 13, 2017
- Bug Fix: Opening saved controls sometimes imported extra controls that couldn't be deleted.
- Bug Fix: Controls would have an extra Layer control at the top of the controls list. This was only visible in the Timeline panel in After Effects after the pseudo effect was applied to a layer.
Version - v0.99
Release Date - April 6, 2017
- Bug Fix: Pasting XML controls with multiple nested groups should now be imported without extra controls and errors
- Bug Fix: There was a bug with moving controls using the arrow buttons. Controls could not be moved past 'text' controls. This has been fixed.
- Bug Fix: Fonts - systems that were displaying serif fonts in the Pseudo Effect Maker interface should now see a standard sans-serif font
Version - v0.98
Release Date - April 4, 2017
- Initial Release